First Baptist Church Dade City
Thursday, June 22, 2017
Honoring our leader, Jesus Christ, as a family of multiplying followers.

- Church History

First Baptist Church of Dade City  (FBC) is located in central west Florida
just north of Tampa Bay.  FBC ministries are local, regional and international in focus.
We believe in the authority of Scripture and that redemption
is offered through Christ alone.  We believe that a plurality of leadership is
God’s Biblical model for church oversight. We are blessed with many strong and
well-established ministries and are seeking to develop a more multi-generational church.

 

 
Church History: 
 On November 14, 2011, FBC celebrated its 120-year anniversary.  Established in October 14, 1891 as a church plant from ten leading families of Oak Grove Baptist Church, the church was first named College Street Baptist Church. In 1899 and 1905, the church building burned and had to be rebuilt. In 1905, the church’s ladies ministry bought a pastorium (now Building “C” and located just east of the main church building).  In 1944, College Street was renamed Church Avenue and the congregation changed the church’s name to First Baptist Church of Dade City.
In 1950, construction of the present brick building was begun.  The first pastorium was moved to the corner of Meridian and Thirteenth Street to make room for the expansion.  The present sanctuary and east classroom wing were completed in 1955.  The whole block was secured and the second pastorium was built north of the church facing Meridian Avenue.  In 1960, the chapel and the west classroom wing were completed.  FBC’s radio ministry was begun in 1958 and continued until 2009 (now services are “streamed” on the Internet).  FBC was also the lead church in establishing the Fort Dade Mission in 1942 (later established as a church in 1952), Ridge Manor Mission in 1974, and seeding of Blanton Baptist Church in 1997.  FBC also began the Cornerstone Center for Women in 2004 (now a separate charitable organization).  FBC shared its office and classroom space with Pasco-Hernando Community College for two years until the college campus was completed.